Living in organisations isn’t easy; the varied and complex cultures and challenges we find ourselves facing everyday can be difficult and lead to all kinds of resistances, problems and unintended consequences. Cyborg Ethnography ‘gets under the skin’ of organisations to explore these underlying dynamics, values and drivers for behaviours in order to offer valuable insights and precipitate new strategies of culture for working towards new futures.
Culture in societies and organisations is emergent, and always changing. Learning to be attentive to the histories of our organisations, the change strategies and initiatives of the past, and cycles of leadership and ideas gone by, can be extremely productive. Every team in your workplace has created unique ways of facing challenges and opportunities they encounter; understanding these rich multiplicities of culture can open us to the change we want to see for making the future cultures we want possible.
Cyborg Ethnography can problem solve questions such as:
- What are the communication gaps and resistances between areas in my organisation?
- Why does x group behave the way they do?
- How can multiple locations work most successfully together?
- What effect is leadership style and history having on staff in my organisation today?
- What’s the real value of Agile to our unique organisation? Is it worth implementing?
- Why is ‘Agile’ practiced so differently throughout our organisation? Can and should we be unifying Agile practices?
- Are there USPs of our culture and organisation we can’t see and should be promoting to customers and in our recruitment materials?
- Are some of my organisation’s short to medium-term strategies for cost saving and efficiencies causing as yet hidden and unintended consequences that could mean problems for the future?
- How can the culture we want be developed now?